On Valentine's Day 2009, a Saturday, our life changed forever....Kooper Scott Lightsey was born at 10:58 am in Columbus, MS. I wasn't due until March 3rd, but Kooper had other plans...plans to be our little cupid. I worked on Friday, 8:30-5pm. My stomach kept contracting all day long..it seemed it never let up, although it wasn't painful. At 5:00, I left work and came home. Shortly thereafter, the contractions became painful. Kris, the engineer / mathmatician that he is found an empty envelope from that week's mail and began to record the time, duration, and intensity of my contractions. I even took a bath and they seemed to ease up while I was in the bathtub, which made me think they were just early contractions, getting me ready for the big day. We even got settled down to bed around 10:00 pm, and I gave my mom a call to tell her what was going on. We discussed the contractions, and I asked her what she thought. She could not believe that I wasn't already preparing to go to the hospital. She said, "Well, I think you had better get to the hospital." We heeded her advice, and quickly packed our bags for the hospital (which had not been done yet). I called some dear friends of ours in Starkville, Brandy & Travis Johnson and asked them if they would watch Karsen while we headed to Columbus to see if this was for real. They had already kept Karsen for us one night earlier that week so that I could take Kris to the ER with the FLU, that's right, it was a very eventful week at our house that year!As we got closer to Columbus, the contractions became more and more intense. When we arrived at the hospital, they would not let me walk to the L&D floor, so they wheeled me through the hospital in a wheelchair. It seemed like an eternity before we got there, partly because the halls were long and full of turns, and partly because the nurse had seen Kris's detailed "spreadsheet" of my contraction information and had to stop and show it to different workers she passed in the hallway!Anyway, I got there and was in full-blown labor, at 3 centimeters.....and Kooper arrived a healthy 6 lbs, 8 oz, 19 1/4 inches long at 10:58 am, Saturday, Feb. 14th! What a blessing! Valentine's Day forever took on a new meaning in our family!
Karsen checking out his new brother!
These two brothers really enjoy each other.....sometimes ;) Since we had Kooper's party Friday night, his actual birthday was pretty low key. We met CC at Chick-Fil-A for lunch and ice cream, then headed home to play in the pretty sunshine. They boys had such a good time outside. They didn't want to come in for anything, so we skipped naptime, which I usually always begin to regret around 5pm! But, it was a good day, without any meltdowns, Yeah! Here are a few pictures of the fun these guys had outside playing on Kooper's 2nd Birthday!

No comments:
Post a Comment